With the Witch Hazel, Hellebores, and Sweet Box in full bloom, it is a good time to take inventory of your garden and consider adjustments before spring is really here.
Now is when I make goals for my garden.
Here are things t0 consider this winter:
- Screening and privacy. Do you have the coverage you want when deciduous trees loose their leaves?
- Circulation. Are pathways and patios in the best location? Is it easy to walk the entire garden and keep your feet dry?
- Structure. Are garden focal points and plant groupings positioned for views from inside the house too?
- Winter color. Do perennial borders need something additional for dormant season interest? Would evergreen color and texture add depth?
- Outdoor living. Would a covered outdoor structure create a quiet, dry place to get out of the house and enjoy your garden on a rainy winter day?
Spring and “springtime” refer to the season, and broadly to ideas of rebirth, renewal and regrowth. That says it all!